Creating a sustainable energy future for everyone
Building on our legacy of providing safe, reliable, affordable natural gas, and energy services, we continue to pursue innovative solutions to accelerate a sustainable future for our employees, communities, and everyone we serve.
Our 2022 Sustainability Report highlights our efforts in the ongoing energy transition to a low-carbon economy. The report details the Company’s priorities in environmental, social and governance (ESG) matters, recognizing investments in renewable projects and emissions reduction efforts, providing safe, inclusive working environments, and reinforces Company commitments to achieving a sustainable future for everyone we serve.
The report includes the updated 2021 disclosures using the American Gas Association (AGA) Template and the Sustainability Accounting Standards Board (SASB) framework for gas utilities and distributors and the engineering and construction services sectors. Additionally, for the first time, the Company is disclosing using the UN Sustainability Development Goals, the GRI (Global Reporting Initiative) and the Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures (TCFD) frameworks. The Company’s ESG initiatives are overseen by the Board of Directors as well as leadership from Southwest Gas, Centuri and MountainWest senior management, ensuring ESG practices are embraced throughout the Company.
- Centuri’s NPL business awarded “Outstanding Corporate Partner of the Year” by the Federation of Women Contractors
- Reduced excavation damages by 18% since 2019, lowering the amount of gas released to the atmosphere.
- Partnered on five renewable natural gas projects to help connect sources of RNG with end-users via the Company’s natural gas distribution systems. These five projects are estimated to produce over 17.6 million therms of RNG per year – enough to fulfill the energy requirements of nearly 10,900 homes for one year.
- Helped fleet customers reduce nearly 59,000 metric tons of greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions by providing over 27 million therms of natural gas to be used as compressed natural gas(CNG) in place of diesel fuel. This is equivalent to removing 12,635 gasoline-powered passenger vehicles from the road for a year. The deployment of renewable natural gas (RNG) to fuel fleets will further drive down emissions and benefit customers and the communities we serve.
- Decreased Days Away, Restricted, or Transferred (“DART”) rate by 24% at Centuri Group, demonstrating our commitment to employee safety.
- Introduced the Move2Zero Offset Program, allowing eligible Nevada customers to offset their GHG emissions generated from natural gas usage with verified carbon offset credits starting at $5 per month.
- Distributed over $4.24 million companywide to nonprofits and charitable organization through employee, foundation, and customers donations. Southwest Gas employees gave 1,412 hours, supporting organizations including food banks, rescue missions, teachers and students, first responders and veterans.